In the early 1960s the unoccupied and deteriorating house was sold to a developer who planned to raze the building and erect an apartment complex. A dramatic preservation effort saved the house in 1966 and eventually restored it to the proiod of the Duplantier residence with sophisticated Creole taste in paint colors, faux finishes, and wallpaper. Also on the property is a reproduction kitchen where open-hearth demonstrations are given, and an exhibit facility explicating Creole life. A pigeonnier, circa 1820, was moved from downriver Sunshine, and the Magnolia Mound overseer’s house, circa 1860, was moved to the grounds from its original location about a block away. Two oaks in the front of the house are thought to have been planted by John Joyce.
- alongtheriverroad posted this